Thread: bland tao
View Single Post
Old 20-04-2020, 07:36 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starjumper7
In my opinion the Vinegar tasters does not have anything in common with how the Tao seems bland to the unwise. It refers to the different view points of the three main philosophies in China at the time.

The vinegar represents life, and people.

Confused Tzu saw life as sour and in need of rules to correct the degeneration of people.

Buddha saw life as suffering and pain, due to attachments to things like life itself.

Lau Tzu (sounds like' Lousy') saw life as being fundamentally perfect the way it is, as long as things are in their natural state. Life alternates between bitter and sweet, and a wise person sees this and accepts it

Perhaps not, but it is what came to mind for me when I heard that passage. I will have to find my Tao Te Ching translation around here somewhere as that passage does not sound familiar to me. But yes, that is the same interpretation of the vinegar tasters I read (although I assume you meant to type Confucius for the first one). I suppose I made the connection because both the passage and the painting/sketch drive home the point that taste is in the palette of the taster (or the mind of, more technically), as is how one experiences life I suppose.