View Single Post
Old 19-01-2021, 03:43 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy

Here's several interviews on what (ultimately) exists with some interesting takes, starting with Sean Carroll. https://youtu.be/z5qtyOwsiEk

Here's a notion or intuition I have and it mostly agrees with Sean, however for whatever reason I don't stop at quantum mechanics. Something deep down inside says the quantum wave function is the first manifestation of the Absolute, whatever It might be. Perhaps the Unified Field although this is where I'm out of my depth. I don't have the level of knowledge of theoretical physics to make any such statement as I'm not sure of the relationship between a proposed Unified Field (Superstring, M-Theory, etc...) and the quantum wave function.

By the way, intuition also informs me the Unified Field and Consciousness are one in the same, although this is where we get into the Ineffable and therefore it's beyond observational verification. Just my silly notion.

I am a fan of Carroll as well. I have watched quite a few of his vids and read a coupletwothree of his books.

No need to stop at quantum mechanics unless you are a physicist explaining QM theory. At which point you will just be told to “shut up and calculate”, fun perhaps for some, but notsomuch for others. Now if you are a physicist studying physics, then you can keep going. However, you do have to follow all the traffic laws. On the other hand, if you are a you looking at QM from a perspective of spirituality, you are free to go off road and wander about as you see fit. However, you might want to keep mind of where the road is in case your jeep breaks down.

I have a notion that your notion is not too far off from a pretty good version of 'reality'. Your GPS seems to me to be navigating you to the right place. Of course, I have not yet been there either so that is just my intuition. I also have a notion that if we were to get there, we would find it is also just one more model of the Tao, one more manifestation among the myriad, yet a useful one in its own way.

What is a field other than a mathematical description of what effect might become known if we put something else into it? Do magnetic lines point north and south when there is no compass needle to be moved? Does a field exist if there is nothing for it to interact with? << Hehe, Modern Zen Koan?

There are waves, and there are oceans, two things that are also one thing. The waves move along the surface, but also affect what is deep below, and the depth of the ocean affects the waves in return. Far out to sea, over the deep ocean, the waves may have a long wavelength, low frequency, and a small amplitude, their energy is spread out in space and time. As they approach the shallows, the waves pile up against one another, decreasing in wavelength and increasing in frequency and amplitude, their energy condenses until they crest and crash against the shore, occasionally leaving behind a clue as to what all exists out there in the depths of the sea. On the beach, they move the grains of sand about, sometimes eroding away the beach and other times building it up, as both the wave and the ocean come to an end where they give way to the solid ground, even as the solid ground gives way to the waves. It is the beach that determines when the waves will peak, crest, and come to an end against the solid ground, yet it is the waves that shape and form the beach and no two waves can ever crash against the same beach. In this way, the beach, the waves, and the ocean are three things, that are also one.

Of course, over time even entire continents are eroded away grain by grain and transported by the rivers back into the sea, yada yada yada, where they settle back to become part of the ocean bottom. But this metaphor, and this post, is already long enough without drifting into plate tectonics and stretching it out over geological time.