Thread: Stress
View Single Post
Old 23-01-2021, 11:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophiuchus94
This is a nice topic and thank you for starting it.

I recently realised that some people need this constant pressure in their lives. These people don't function if there's no stress and pressure involved, and the biggest reason is our life in the modern world. When I don't have any problems, I usually need to find one, in order to maintain this level of stress.

I've started to meditate recently and I can feel certain benefits already. Usually, I felt very stressed when my parents text me and blame me for many things, because I'm not changing myself the way they want me to. I was suprised when I realised that it doesn't stress me that much after practising meditation and pranayama breathing technique.

As you already mentioned, stress can be very harmful, both to our physical body and our mental state.
It has been established that we all need a certain degree of stress in our lives; else we may become lethargic. But the level of “good” stress is different with each person. One person’s stress can be another person’s energizer. There are adrenaline junkies who feel energized in what might be a stressful situations for others. The important thing is to know our limits. Know our bodies and our emotions, what works and what does not work for us as and individual.

I have lived a very high stress life, especially in my youth. An army combat medic in war, then and ambulance paramedic, then working in hospitals, etc. Later working as a counselor doing crisis work, etc. I ran through life at high speed, and while I gathered a lot along the way, in retrospect I long to have slowed down and smelled the roses more. Which is what I am doing today in retirement. I have roses in my house and back patio.