Thread: The Depraved
View Single Post
Old 13-10-2021, 09:50 PM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Can a person who claims they are of another religion and promotes that religion, be considered a Christian?

I would say the soul (me) can never be something other than itself, what it is. It can however focus on/cling to other things and perceive and experience and project those things with a false idea they are me or mine. If I am holding a flower or a rock, am I the flower or rock? If I am holding thoughts, beliefs, or ideas, philosophies, am I those things? These are things I may focus on/cling to, have and carry or hold, not things I am.

“Finally I am coming to the conclusion that my highest ambition is to be what I already am. That I will never fulfill my obligation to surpass myself unless I first accept myself, and if I accept myself fully in the right way, I will already have surpassed myself.”
― Thomas Merton: Roman Catholic Monk

I would not consider a soul a thing it is associating with. If someone fell into a thorny bush, it's best to be able to tell the difference between them and the bush, that's seeing things how they are, not how they look or act.

Jesus says those things we "focus on/cling to" we take with us to heaven.

MATTHEW 18:18
KJ21
Verily I say unto you, whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in Heaven; and so whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in Heaven.

“What we have to be is what we are.”
― Thomas Merton