View Single Post
Old 13-08-2022, 12:00 PM
Master
When one encounters extraordinary beings during one's life and extraordinary things happen that do not seem consistent with one's paradigm of the Reality, one is challenged to understand how such things are possible and change one's paradigm of the Reality accordingly.

Such happenings are koan-like in nature though they would not necessarily fit into the traditional category of koans.

EXAMPLE:

When I was walking towards the Ganges River in an open field during the Khumba Mela (1998) with a friend, an extraordinary sage appeared literally out of nowhere to answer (in 6 very effective words) a pressing question that we were discussing. He disappeared just as mysteriously. My friend and I wondered whether we had just had a shared hallucination, turned around, and went back to the ashram where our teacher was sitting on the dais with the sages of India. She immediately called us to her and we described what had happened and identified the sage as the one who had been at the Bandara (feast) the previous day and whom the spiritual hierarchy had acknowledged by bowing to him and touching his feet.

There was a long silence after we told our story and the other sages turned to my teacher as it would be inappropriate for any of them to involve themselves in a discussion between a teacher and a disciple. Finally, my teacher broke the silence and acknowledged what had happened. "You've been blessed. He does this from time to time. EVERYONE KNOWS THIS. Meditate on how such things are possible." The other sages nodded.

That in itself was an awesome "koan" to contemplate. Although everyone on the dais clearly knew that this sage did this from time to time, I had certainly not seen anything like this before.

QUESTION: How are such things possible?

NOTE: This phenomenon is known in other traditions as well as both Padre Pio and Anthony of Padua in the Christian tradition reportedly bi-located and so did Milarepa in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition.