View Single Post
Old 19-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSpirit
We all know the church held nearly all the power back then and were the law. Galileo disputed what was elected as a scientific/astronomical fact by another (yes, I've read about it to so won't go into detail). He later published his findings against the churches wishes and they imprisoned him for heresy. The point is, he was disputing the findings as being wrong. Science is not perfect Gem. We know there have been many stuff-ups by them over time. Neither is spiritual understanding perfect. We need both to keep the balance.

He was done for heresy, that's a spiritual thing. Guys like that sought the truth of facts and did not believe what they were told. Imagine the contention Darwin caused, and look how the Nazis used that to validate the Arian... then the spiritual aspect of the Jews. The truth is scientific but the speculative belief is what is problematic...

My favorite 'in your face' was Nietzsche with 'God is Dead'. That blew the door clean off its hinges.

Quote:
If you don't know what spiritual means, then how can you keep judging it on a selection of your own choices to back your immovable opinions? These things you keep mentioning are mostly off-shoots of spiritualness. Science also delves into off-shoots such as quantum theories, or researching unexplainable events. You're entitled to your opinions, as is everybody else in this world, but it is your attitude and stance on spiritual and what it represents to you, that has caused wars and fighting.

Well the forum has a list of spiritual things so I'm happy enough with that.

Quote:
Spiritual is not meant to be diced up and separated into individual containers (as does happen at times).....its the acknowledgement of an energy that cannot be contained in ways we would like to....an energy we can't always explain away...and science will admit to this.

Why even imagine it isn't broken into bits. There's holy wars and always have been. I didn't cause these things to occur, and the people who are so radical to kill if God will it will tout around saying 'it's my personal truth'... I mean 'my personal truth' is the opitomy of opinionated... it implies 'my opinion is true'.

Be realistic. Take this ideal 'everyone is entitled to their opinion'. The allow the KKK to hold theirs with the conviction they do for to them that's 'personal truth'. Allow the terrorist to his 'personal truth' and explode the himself in market place.

No everyone is not entitled, and I mean myself, to thier opinion which is a belief which is called 'my personal truth'... because the ideal sounds wonderful, it should be true, but it doesn't work, it is not a practical philosophy.

Just look at it with a clean slate and it's like the ocean is wet... beliefs or as we like to say 'personal truth' is a major cause of suffering, but it is equally easy to see that man will not relinquish them.