View Single Post
Old 30-06-2020, 07:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Dragon
Thanks for your response, Gem. I've been seeing physiotherapists since November. I was diagnosed with chondromalacia. I've not been responding too well to any of the treatments. In regards to this post, though, I was wondering why, despite so much cycling and other leg exercises, I couldn't even walk for a few minutes without every muscle in my legs suffering. Of course, no one can provide a direct answer to that. I was more wondering if that even makes sense - should I be able to walk comfortably after doing so much for many months? I will continue to do some research and see what I can work out. As far as physio is concerned, the service is currently unavailable due to our circumstances.

Have a great week!

It's hard to tell why one leg movement hurts and another leg movement doesn't. I simply stick to pain free movement and avoiding anything that hurts or grinds. It's often the case that walking is painful, actually, whereas leg extension, wall squats, reverse lunges can be pain free.

I also focus on the joint below and the joint above the painful joint, which in the case of knees, is the ankle and the hip joint. If the ankle and hip are stable, the knee tends move in a good line and function much better. The ankle joint is usually unstable due to weaknesses in the foot and big toe. The hip tends to be unstable due to weaknesses or inactivity in the glutes, particularly glute medius.

I would be to start with very easy isolation exercises and very gradually increase intensity and exercise dose to more complex compound exercises over a period of some months. Drills would start with some dynamic stretching to prepare for resistance exercise, and finish with some static stretches just to ensure good overall mobility.

i would be exercising all the muscles that move the leg including the glutes, hamstrings, calves, as well as the quads, and also, work the arch of the foot and the toes to stablise ankles. bad kneee tracking is usually a hip/ankle issue so I think about the entire kinetic chain of the leg.

I'd stop wearing soft padded sneakers and wear flat soles such as converse chuck taylors as well - unless there is some sort of foot issue with that.

Lastly, I would consider body-weight, and if body fat percentage is quite high, I'd think about overall body composition, and takes a whole body approach to any situation - and continuing physiotherapy in the case of any malady.

i don;t treat maladies, so this is just my thoughts, and I'm just some guy on the internet, so don't take advice when it's just a few thoughts.