Thread: Meeting a fairy
View Single Post
Old 20-08-2020, 09:26 AM
Experiencer

Ok, I finally get it. I'm sitting next to the Bodhi tree and Mara is attacking me! Awesome, perfect, I can do this.

Early Buddhists, as well as later Buddhists, acknowledged both a literal and "psychological" interpretation of Mara. Mara can be interpreted either as a real external demon or as internal vices that one faces on the pathway to enlightenment. From the psychological perspective, Mara is a manifestation of one's own mind. No external demon exists since it emerges from our own deluded thoughts. Those who see Mara as a personification of our human ego interpret the stories associated with him in a symbolic way. Mara becomes a representation for internal vices. His attack on the Buddha represents internal impulses towards violence and rage that can be overcome by following the Buddha's teachings of cultivating compassion, detachment and gentleness. The daughters of Mara represent lust and desire, which the Buddha overcame by recognizing their true nature as emptiness. Mara's own attack on the Buddha's pride was defeated by the Buddha's denial of the self since there was no "I" (ego) left to feel pride. Thus, the story of Mara's temptation can be interpreted symbolically, whereby the Buddha's own emotions, desires, and sense of self were represented by demons.

I can't be seduced, but I can fall into anger, not so much in real life, but in dreams they push me to the limits. I work diligently on it, sometimes I do well, sometimes I don't. This time I didn't and fell from my position.

This is so funny: http://mesosyn.com/myth2-x3.jpg

Aren't the satyrs touching him? That's so annoying. I have good plans now, but according to Buddhism I must do nothing. Just stand there and let them do whatever they want to me doesn't sound good. I'd say Buddha only appears to be doing nothing, in his mind he is actively defeating the demons with knowledge and virtues. He is actually fighting them, but not visibly.
My words of wisdom: Every civilization wishes to serve the Deity, but they can only do so to the extent of their wisdom and justice. & The greatest religious revelation is the correct interpretation of the things in the sky.