View Single Post
Old 09-11-2022, 06:39 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
the factor of choice.Peace
I'm not all that big on choice because I have no choice about almost everything. The sun sets and rises in nature's way and I can't do anything about it, and I can't live forever because nature works in a certain way. On a deeper and much more abstract level this implies there is truth, which, by definition, is the way it is regardless of what anyone prefers, believes or chooses. For this reason, if one holds that there is truth, the way nature is, they can't contradict that with choice. Hence I'm not one to say 'your choice'.

For any individual, if you believe something, then try to choose to not believe it, or counter, if you don't believe a thing, then try to choose to believe it. You'll find you don't get to choose. Essentially it's because everything changes, and the belief present now is under its own process of change. The best one can do, as far as they are able, is be accepting of the change as it happens.

This changes the focus from a willful attitude, which is largely futile in that you can't will the sun to set, to a willing attitude, which is just accept the sun sets in its own way.

Since we aren't perfect, our willingness tends to be limited, and as experiences get a bit more extreme we tend to start resisting and controlling. Even the faith and all the doubt and therefore the hope it entails is a matter of remembering and reaffirming in effort to keep things the same, as one is unwilling to let things change (in case they are sent to hell or whatever). If this becomes apparent to someone, the belief will lose its foundation and collapse, and you will not have any choice as you watch it fall apart. The truth is, it cannot stay the same, it will inevitably change, and it can only be held static through resistance to the inevitable. It is this notion of 'the inevitable' that conflicts with the notion of choice.

Last edited by Gem : 09-11-2022 at 10:14 PM.