View Single Post
Old 30-10-2019, 06:45 AM
Newbie ;)

This may be a bit off topic, because it mostly is, but I've recently began reading A Game of Thrones. I think George R.R. Martin has a great way with words, and so far I'm thoroughly enjoying his imagery. I've watched the series in its entirety, and so far, the experience of reading has been enhanced by this fact. It is much easier to keep track of things since I already have an idea in my mind of what is supposed to happen. All this being said, earlier today, I was lamenting about how fake the world seems. When I leave my home, I feel like there are roles I must play. I feel like there are tons of unspoken rules about how you must conduct yourself around strangers, and it was beginning to bother me. It is a lot like the court intrigue you experience within the world of George R.R. Martin. All the time, there are things going on behind the scenes. People have intentions that are hidden, and chances are, no one cares much about you at all. Rather, they only care about their own agendas and how they can get what they want. I guess, in a way, I'm in the same boat. All that I want are genuine interactions with people that are deeper than a "How about that weather?" I have a feeling that no one really enjoys these small talk sessions, so how is it that we as a society keep perpetuating it?

Anyway, if you're asking because you're interested in reading the books, I do hope you pick them up. If you decide to, I'd love to join you in discussing them!