View Single Post
Old 21-04-2022, 02:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Passing
I've been learning about time recently (via experiences mainly) and I've come to realize that you actually can talk to your younger self. We all have memories. Easy enough to remember, feel yourself at a time in the past, and connect to yourself. Simple. But does it do anything? The past is kind of frozen right? All done.

But that's the thing. I'm not sure it is. Not anymore. ...

All I know is when I "peek" at time my brain breaks. And when I deeply connect with myself in the past time starts to fall apart - quite literally. Which suggests to me something is happening.
This is a big can of worms (very complicated).

Talking to a representation from memory is generally a different thing than talking directly across time. Human memories are NOT fixed. Science has shown that they are slightly altered every time you recall them. This does not change the past, only your memory of and feelings about your past.

Its also possible to store a thought now for your future self.

As to time itself, it IS fixed AND can be altered. To understand this, think of a movie. You can watch a movie 100 times and it will be the same every time. However, you can also load it into video editing software and change the movie. Afterwards you can watch the move another hundred times and it will be the same each time yet never the same as the first 100 views. Note that this does NOT alter your memories of there being two versions of the movie as you watched it. The 'altered' movie can coexist with the original movie allowing you to watch the one you want. Time is like that.

[very advanced] Yes it is possible to directly communicate to yourself across time. In most cases, it changes things a bit but does not produce the desired changes.