View Single Post
Old 14-06-2020, 12:13 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starjumper7
Erle is an advanced and very knowledgeable tai chi practitioner, and is a good teacher too, in person.

There are hundreds of different types of Yang style tai chi, but they all have similar movements.

You should know that it is almost impossible to learn tai chi from videos. This is because they are not good observers or imitators, so they develop bad habits. It is essential to have in person feedback from a good teacher in order to really get the principles of movement down well. This is because an in person teacher can spot mistakes and correct those.

I've seen people who learned from videos do tai chi and it is terrible. it actually is NOT tai chi that they are doing. The person know the sequence of moves but was completely missing all the internal aspects required in real tai chi.

it looks like your mind is made up already, but consider this. Do you want to learn tai chi for health? if so, then it IS possible to learn a good chi kung from videos. If you want to learn tai chi for self defense then that requires a live in person teacher even more than just learning the form, because it relies a lot on feeling, yielding, and sensitivity training.

I want to learn tachi for health and meditation purposes, I have absolutely no interest in the self defense aspect of it. I would love to learn it in person but for me that can't be done I'm afraid.