View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 06:50 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Spiritualism in the USA has changed dramatically in the last 25 years in the USA. Much of it is a blend of Hinduism, Buddhism and Theosophy.

The USA version of modern day Spiritualism began in 1848.
In 1998, I went back to where a lot of it began for the 150th anniversary
only to see Hillary Clinton arriving for the Women's Movement as I was leaving.....

Spiritualism in the UK has changed similarly over that same period. I see myself as fortunate that I caught the tail end of the 'old movement' for long enough to now see the differences between old and new.

I've frequently said I'm baffled that the movement that eventually became Modern Spiritualism has its roots in Hydesville, upstate New York, yet in the USA has developed very differently than it did in the UK or - if you include Spiritism which is similar in many aspects - South America, Brazil for example. I haven't visited that area but, then, I don't much care for the east coast anyway - 'west is best'.

On a personal level I would be very uncomfortable with any principles from the religions/followings you've mentioned appearing in the very simple Spiritualist philosophy. I'm not even happy with some of the SNU's so-called Seven Principles! (though I do understand exactly why we have them) The teachings found in Hinduism, Buddhism and Theosophy may be perfectly fine in their own right but I wouldn't want to see 'em in Spiritualism.

I'm heartened you appear to be more of a Spiritualist - or at least know more about Spiritualism - than I had thought.

Last edited by bobjob : 04-09-2020 at 07:30 AM.