View Single Post
Old 14-02-2015, 09:36 PM
Master
The thing is, you don't become spiritual by avoiding the things you percieve as capable of making you not-spiritual. That being said, when those things are so enthralling that they do indeed appear to be preventing you from being spiritual, you might have to stop them in order to focus better on your spirituality.

But the things themselves are not the problem ; you're the problem . You are currently vulnerable to being stopped by those things , so there's a pretty obvious decision : avoid certain things in your life, and fill them up with more positive spiritually supportive things. There's a saying in AA : "fake it till you make it" . Believe me, I completely get it about all those things (except the gaming , but it's simply another addictive distraction if you let it be) , because I was a drunk and a druggie for years after I got into spirituality. There was an epic battle for my soul that the evil forces were winning easily , until I was 31.

I don't have a magic formula for changing yourself; you just have to keep at it and try and understand that it isn't about some imaginary future blissful state . You have to find ways of making and seeing progress, and appreciating what you have now, because as someone very wise has said , you already are as spiritual as anyone ever can be , because you truly ARE Spirit. It really is about perspective , because perspective can change in an instant , and insight can too . But this is a process, and every process in this spacetime realm takes time . At some point you get filled up with Spirit more than with the world ; however that happens , and that's when it's easy to let go of things . You lose the attachment to things , because your connection to Spirit is stronger than the pull of those things. You can enjoy things in life because you're not obsessive or compulsive about them. You just do them within the context of a spiritual life, and there's no huge drama
about thinking you're being bad , or not spiritual . I understand this may not happen easily or quickly; it sure was a torture to me for years until something extremely radical happened (but that's another story, already told) .

So find ways of making progress, and appreciate the progress, and be supportive of yourself for the steps you take . You're working your way up out of the deep, dark tunnel , and the only way to go is up , so take heart ;
this is what we're made for