View Single Post
Old 14-01-2020, 01:44 PM
Master
YHVH (I am that I am, or I will be what I will be) is the "personal" name of God as revealed by God. Traditionally spoken by Jews as "Adonai" (my lord), as the pronunciation of the name itself was never spoken and thus has been lost to history. Christians may write this name as Yahweh or similar.

Here is a very good high-level discussion of the names of God:

https://www.thetorah.com/article/yhw...d-that-becomes
--Prof. James A. Diamond
Quote:
YHWH conveys more of a relational being in a partnership of reciprocity with Israel. It connotes a God of endless becoming, as the imperfect tense I will be indicates, a deity who cannot but be elusive, continually shaped and reshaped by the respective partners with whom it establishes relationship. Other divine names then derive naturally in this respect from the core relational name YHWH. They correlate to various dimensions of God such as compassion, mercy, or justice, which are all manifest in relationships.
Quote:
As opposed to Maimonides’ detached, unaffected, necessary existence, Rashi exquisitely captures this God of relationship by fleshing out the meaning of ehyeh asher ehyeh (I am that I am, or I will be what I will be) as,

אהיה עמם בצרה זו אשר אהיה עמם בשעבוד שאר מלכיות.

I will be with them during this affliction as I will be with them during their oppression by other kingdoms.

God provides the comfort, assistance, and empathy expected of any partner in a meaningful relationship.

Here is an important point in understanding our relationship with What Is.
Quote:
Kabbalistic Interpretation – Closer to the Biblical Original

Rabbinic and mystical interpretations of an evolving, impressionable, at times fragmented and suffering, God, emerge more naturally from the original sense of a personal interventionist God subject to emotions and affectation in the Hebrew Bible as well as its rabbinic overlay.[33]

Thus, a mythic continuum stretches from the Bible through rabbinic midrash, kabbalah, and onward. Conversely, the philosophical abstractions consistent with notions of divine perfection actually require a violent distortion of the original text, imposing a notion of the deity that is foreign both to the written text and its voluminous oral traditions.
That is why Kabbalah holds that creation is for God, just as God is for creation. We grow and evolve in interbeing with one another. There is a foundational relationship of interbeing, and much of interbeing has to do with fulfillment, union, communion, realisation, and illumination. Our intrinsic, foundational needs as humanity may have to do equally with the physical (profane) as the intangible (sacred), as we are physical incarnations. But that's not to say that the fruits of this universe or multiverse -- including sentient, self-aware beings who may know themselves and may begin to apprehend Oneness -- are not desired or needed in some way by whomever or whatever brought all of this into being initially. At least, that is the mystical understanding, as derived from mystical traditions of this and other wisdom traditions.

So it's not so much outside or inside, but communion and interbeing. Relational. The distinction noted in the above article is more one of becoming (mystical and relational) versus being (here, meaning perfected).

YHWH refers to a relational state of becoming Oneself along with the rest of What Is (including us), versus a state of perfected, remote beingness. It emphasises the personal and relational, whilst other names emphasise the abstract, remote, or perfected.

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke