View Single Post
Old 29-12-2020, 06:37 PM
Knower
I agree JASG on this, and I've heard it elsewhere that it's helpful to build up your concentration first with a mindfulness technique, such as mindfulness of breathing, before moving on to Vipassana/Insight or other 'awareness' method. Having done it in that order myself, I now find 'do nothing' the most effortless. Not that it's the only training I need!

So, where to learn it? I've also tried various teachings, and it's hard to recommend any without knowing you very well, but my project for 2021 is working through The Mind Illuminated by Culadasa, a 10 step meditation course which covers different techniques (and it's available free).

I also benefited from Diana Winston's The Little Book Of Being, which covers a 3 stage spectrum of awareness: focussed awareness (one pointed concentration); choiceless awareness (mid range); and natural awareness (simply being, resting in awareness). I like that her approach doesn't try to make your mind fit a particular pattern, but rather, it flows into whichever meditation technique suits your state of mind at the time.

Also, the terminology can be a little confusing because there's inconsistency between teachers; for example I've come across different uses for 'choiceless awareness' so it's not an exact science!