View Single Post
Old 25-12-2020, 08:23 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Just my personal experience but here goes.

It can't be forced or chased. It has to be effortless. There's the practice and then there's the state of being. First technique is needed. Call it training wheels. For me it was the Vipassana practice of calm abiding. At some point I came across what Jon Kabat-Zinn called resting in awareness where technique is dropped, the object of attending is dropped.

It is a difficult practice and at first I would start with calm abiding, and when breath and its sensations were almost unnoticeable I would drop the attending and rest in awareness. At first it would be for very brief periods. Fifteen seconds, half a minute, maybe a minute and then I'd switch back to attending sensations of breath. Eventually and with practice it increased to minutes, a couple at first then longer and longer. Now it's an effortless practice that doesn't require starting with calm abiding and in truth it doesn't require formal sitting though I do still sit.

I later found different labels for it. Choiceless awareness, do nothing meditation, just sitting. All the same thing. Effortless and no technique. Just being and in the deepest sense. It's an advanced technique and does require some amount of concentration and clarity of mind brought about by meditation with technique, be if mindfulness, mantra, image of a deity, candle gazing or other external object, etc...

https://deconstructingyourself.com/d...editation.html

The full instructions for the Do Nothing meditation technique are: sit down and do nothing. That’s it. Sit down and quite intentionally do nothing at all. Now keep on doing it.

The Do Nothing Meditation is both easier and harder than it sounds. If you practice it often, you’ll find something very deep within you relaxing and opening to the natural flow of experience. And that’s how you find awakening by doing absolutely nothing.