View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 06:22 AM
Master
Just going to bring it back - looking at these teachers was interesting, and I watched quite a few videos. They have a lot of great things to say and seem like likeable folks. In Buddhist learning: 1) you hear it; 2) discern if it's sensible and reasonable; 3) if it is, investigate for yourself and find out the way in which it is true for you. That way, motivation is inspiration from one's own intellectual understanding (not doing stuff just because you think a teacher knows).

I'm thinking better re-focus, but my asides are an example of how analysis goes. I always remember a guy named Trungpa who presented himself as a teacher. He founded a school where a lot sexual abuse of all ages took place. Great pedigree; bad dude. The famous Buddhist nun, Pema Chodron came from that school. She's a great gal, but she got caught up in protecting the teachers and ended up hurting a lot of people. She was wrong, and now has that cross to bear. That sort of thing is not uncommon, so I'm not going to say a guy has great pedigree and therefore his teachings are great. I'm going to say you walk that path like there's poisonous snakes all through the jungle.

A lot of people get hurt, and worse, get misled into hurting people without even knowing it, but if we could say the gravity of that, and therefore the importance of discerning is out of the way, better move on.

Problem being, it doesn't move on. It's just deeper nuances of the same thing. Since practice doesn't go from past to future, but from physical and hard to subtle and sublime - the narrative also goes from crass and self-evident to the intricate nuances.

In the threads I can only go with breath awareness because expanding to body awareness is a lot. Even breath awareness is hard to thread because I can only generalise about 'feel your breathing'. I have tried before to refine for greater effect, but it stalls on the thread. If you think about it, your breath awareness after 3 months should be something a new novice can't do at all. Imagine if you played the piano for 3 months and your playing wasn't any better than what a total newbie could do. I wish I could do a thread that went that way, but what I wish was possible and what is really possible are 2 different things HaHa.

Make the most of what's really possible I always say .