View Single Post
Old 02-12-2016, 07:05 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
I am studying the lunar mansions as points along the sushumna channel. This is the dumai. It's from that point of view. I begin with the sacred knowledge. This can be used for health, or divination - but when it is used for spiritual self-evolution is it "beyond". That's what I mean. It is not for staying stuck in the material only. I am mixing ideas from different philosophies, looking for an essence. But first I need to know the basics of each system - which is a lot of work.

I'm glad you had a good experience with your acupuncturist.

I have had the best experience with reflexology, reiki and being in the energy of my spiritual teacher. These also work with the same energy meridians but in a different way.

Hi Uma,

I know the direction you are going, but I think the wording of your question is pointing the other way.

If I am not mistaken, you want to know the non-physical meaning of the governing channel, right? And yet, that channel is only restricted to the physical body. Why? It is not synonymous to sushumna channel, first of all, but either way, it doesn't matter; it is a thing that exists in the physical body.

Now just to clarify why it is not synonymous to the sushumna channel. Sushumna is in the spine. The governing channel, dumai, or 督脉, is on the back of the body. It's the red line in the picture below. The blue line is the renmai (yin), which combined with the dumai (yang), forms the route for a microcosmic orbit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microc...mic_orbite.PNG

If you are asking about the correspondence between the dumai and some universal concept, then I think it represents everything that is masculine, day time, having a governing and guarding capacity. That's why it's located in the back of the body, because the back is masculine, and the front is feminine.

I previously asked why you focused on the dumai instead of collectively on both the du and ren mai, because if you're trying to grasp a conceptual understanding, not of the body specifically, but of the universe at large, it would be easier if you start with seeing the big picture, and every component within the picture. That's why when I looked at your question, I didn't quite catch your train of thought.

Wanchain