Thread: Tai Chi DVD?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 10:44 PM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hologram8
I just want to do forms - I don't care about fighting - it depends on how you look at it --- I was just glad to find a good teacher who teaches forms and forms only in the lesson -- I got what I wanted from the dvd playlist -----> http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...11#post1945911

the best things in life are free
I don't really want to interact with a teacher either - the video is what I prefer
I just do the forms as a chi kung exercise anyway -
my goal was always to do Chinese martial arts for health - fighting was never the goal - it's a good chi kung exercise

I don't even like the term martial arts - I just prefer to look at it all as chi kung exercises

I'm not trying to complicate this

When I was referring to learning tai chi I was not including the self defense aspect. Of course, for that you need a teacher.

I was referring to learning to do the form correctly. It is too easy to develop bad habits and without a teacher they don't get corrected. In any case doing tai chi poorly makes it even more like chi kung, but doing it well makes it a better chi kung.

My suggestion for you, if you want to learn it without a teacher, is to use a full length mirror. Watch the details of the video like a hawk, and watch yourself in the mirror in the same way, and be honest. I've seen a lot of people who are quite lazy at imitation of movement, which is a big insult to the teacher. Try to do an exact imitation as well as possible. Trying to do an exact imitation is the mark of master material.