View Single Post
Old 24-07-2020, 09:37 AM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Why would you want to have a blank mind? I want to know more, to get better, to do here what I came here to do, to evolve, ... I didn't came here (on Earth) to blank my mind.

Blanking your mind makes sense just as an intermediary state, when you leave behind the outer world, and delve into your inner one. although you don't need that, in my experience.

I know that there are systems of beliefs that preach blanking your mind as the ultimate goal. I disagree. I don't want to be a rock, again. It is one of those confusion like between instinct and intuition. Somebody wrote on another board that intuition is lower than instinct. I disagree, even keeping in mind that we all use the same words but give them different meanings.

Istn't it the whole meaning of a blank mind that you don't get distracted by your inner chatter. I always find it so corny to use some words but sometimes you don't get around it.
If your completely in the NOW, be at peace in the moment and with everything around you and inside you. I think that's a "blank" mind.

It isn't completely blank atleast never with me . But I can choose not to react on any internal or external impulses.

And I need that very much at times, because my mind is a bit hyperactive. So I train this so I can focus myself better on what I want to focus on. Otherwise I'm distracted my my own thoughts all the time. Because ideas keep popping up and i linger of in that idea, instead of working on my current one.
So I don't react on my surroundings or carry away with my inner chatter of my brain.

Maybe they preach it as an ultimate goal because it's so freaking difficult. They too want to envolve and better themselves. If something is hard to achieve then it most be worth chasing.

As Alan Watts well put it:
This is therefore to say that the transformation of human consciousness through meditation is frustrated so long as we think of it as something that I by myself can bring about, by some sort of wangle, by some sort of gimmick. Because you see it leads to endless games of spiritual one-up-manship. And of guru competition. Of my guru being more effective than your guru. My yogas are faster than your yoga. I am more aware of myself than you are. I am humbler than you are. I am sorrier for my sins than you are. I love you more than you love me. There’s this interminable goings on where people fight and wonder whether they are a bit more evolved than somebody else and so on.