View Single Post
Old 24-09-2022, 04:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
... the first person I would think of as liberated would actually BE Ramana Maharshi! ha! :)
I flash on Nisargadatta, Ramakrishna - prob Yogananda, certainly his guru.
PS I'm going to re-read Ch 43 of The Autobiography ...before my Anandamayi Ma book comes tomorrow!! Yay!
The public figures that came to my mind as well are very similar to the ones you mentioned ... Ramana Maharshi, Nisargadatta, Ramakrishna, Yukteswar (I'm not sure about his disciple, Paramahansa Yogananda), the Sufi Master Hazrat Inayat Khan (under whose son I practiced and whom Sufi Shaiks refer to as a "Master of Masters"), the Buddha and some others. It's interesting that you also mentioned Anandamayi Ma, who was a soul sister of my own teacher.

In addition, I would also include some extraordinary beings whom I encountered throughout the world whom one might call "hidden masters" and who completely avoid the public spotlight. Included in that group would be the "homeless" black sage with whom I had a mysterious 9-year connection right here in NYC. In retrospect, despite not realizing it at that time, I would consider that "homeless" sage to be one of the most extraordinary beings whom I've ever encountered and he still remains one of my foremost ideals.

I too don't think in terms of "liberated" or "enlightened". I am constantly amused by non-dualists who talk about being "liberated". Liberated from whom or what .... one's own Self? Like yourself, I use the Buddhist term "awakened" as in awakening from a dream.