View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 04:02 AM
Master
On the one hand ... but on the other - Exercise for Shadow and Reversals

Not sure how this will go down, but one can only try.

I thought of this exercise after reading the reversal thread and with encouragement from Pisces Moon, (yes, yes, you Pisces Moon. I expect you to flex some Tarot muscle here) to assist people who may be struggling with connecting with the shadow or reversed energy of their cards.

The person above picks out a topic (relationship, home, family, career, etc) and an upright card for the next person.

The next person then has to express either the reversed energy or the shadow energy (or both if you're really game to exercise your brain and intuition and see a difference) of the card picked by the previous person by making a sentence. "On the one hand ... blah, blah, blah ... but on the other hand ... blah, blah, blah".

The person doing the exercise must make a sentence that can be related to the topic that the person above has chosen in order to make connections and actually help to learn from the exercise.

I'll start with an example. Let's pretend that Pisces Moon left me the following (yes, dobbing you in, lol):

Topic: Relationships
Card: The Sun

I then post:

On the one hand our relationship is really happy, open and trusting (light energy) but ...

on the other hand our relationship is so optimistic that we tend to have fun all the time and neglect some important issues that need addressing (shadow aspect).

AND/OR

On the one hand I'm really vibrant and upbeat in our relationship (upright energy) but ...

on the other hand I can get quite depressed for no apparent reason and not appreciate the good things our relationship has to offer (reversed/blocked energy).

I'll do one more quick example to indicate a shadow/negative/dark card:

Topic: Career
Card: 10 of Swords

On the one hand I thought my world had collapsed when I was sacked from my job (shadow energy) but

on the other hand it opened up the offer of a new job which I'm now really looking forward to starting (light energy)

AND/OR:

On the one hand I lost my job by a backstabbing ladder climber (upright energy)

but on the other hand getting the flick has made me realise how stressed I was and has forced me to examine my worries and anxieties more closely (reversed/return to the previous card energy)

I gave examples of both shadow and reversed energy as I tend to see a subtle difference most of the time. I realise that not everyone will be the same, but mine was just for example purposes. You can use either shadow, or reversed or if you consider them the same, just reversed/shadow energy. Whatever you personally feel comfortable with. I've also indicated in brackets what sort of energy I've taken from the reversed card, in the above cases, blocked energy and returning to the previous card energy, so that others can see how I personally arrived at the reversed energy, in case it's helpful to someone else.

Have some fun with this. Either take your time and nut out the reversal/shadow aspect, or just use your intuition and bang it out quickly. Once again, whatever you personally feel comfortable with.

Ready?

Wakey, wakey Pisces Moon ... hahahaha!

Topic: Work/career
Card: 6 of Cups