View Single Post
Old 17-12-2022, 07:43 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Spiritualists generally like ambiguity and and vacuous terms like 'surrender', but I like precision, detail, elaboration and specificity.

I think there is a potential problem here that is related to the difference between precise instruction and precise understanding. If a teacher gives me a precise instruction, then that makes it easier to follow the instruction. But if I try to have a precise understanding of my experience, then afaict I'm just looking at my experience through the lense of what I already know.

So the concept of surrender might be imprecise, but maybe that imprecision is a good thing, because it means that we're not trying to put a new experience into a familiar box. It reminds me of Jac O'Keefe saying "vague is good" (in a conversation with a student, who was using the word "vague" to describe a certain experience). I don't think she meant that we should not strive for clarity, but rather that interesting possibilities (for exploration) will probably not make immediate sense, so we should be okay with them feeling "vague" (and with time, they will make more and more sense).

Last edited by In Flux : 17-12-2022 at 08:31 PM.