View Single Post
Old 25-04-2022, 12:15 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBe
Personally if I’m in dream state too much, I’m tired upon waking. I might be in bed for nine hrs but recall much of the night dream wake periods over riding deep sleep.
Many people experience being "tired" when they get "too much sleep". I've always dismissed that as sleep debt, but I'm sure there are other reasons as well, like the ones you've pointed out. Still, I only wake up tired if I get too little sleep, or my sleep doesn't work due to anxiety or something.

As you become more aware of dreaming waking up can become a problem. What I've found that works is focusing on my memories. Normal dreaming has it's own set of memories. As you become aware you can focus on your dream memories to stay asleep or focus on your waking memories (real life) to wake up. It's simple to do, and it works, at least for me. In fact, I've even managed to go to sleep that way sometimes.

Making sure my sleep works is part of the reason why I refuse to "direct" the process. I trust my dreamer to take care of me. And while he does bring unconscious things to my attention from time to time, that's not his main job imo. His main job is guiding me. Helping me grow and taking me where I need to go. My "go with the flow" attitude leaves my waking life somewhat chaotic and unstructured, so doing my "real work" dreaming makes sense to me. In fact, from time to time, my dreamer will tell me to go to sleep, which I assume means I have work to do.

I worry that people trying to convert their sleep time into meditation time don't appreciate how important sleeping is. So many people feel like the time they spend sleeping is "wasted time" when nothing could be further from the truth. I think there's nothing wrong with meditating while asleep, but you do need to make sure you allow sleep to do it's job, so your meditation should be "allowing" rather than "controlling" imo.