View Single Post
Old 21-04-2022, 06:55 PM
Master
QUOTE 15 EXCERPT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
My practice, since you mention it, is to focus on being more awake in the waking world, and let the other phenomena look after itself. For example when I practiced using mantra for protection during the daylight hours, I noticed that I had a nightmare and I automatically used mantra to make this dream situation disappear.
I'm sure psychiatry has its own point of view about these things. Mine comes from the view of ancient science, the mysticism, that we are not a product of the brain and its chemistry but of consciousness and its energy.
Like yourself, mantra spontaneously arises for protection during the daylight hours. In 1986, I was sandwiched in the middle of a 3-car traffic accident in which my car was almost completely crushed. As it was happening, I went into mantra mode and, although it's illogical, I felt completely safe. Although people in the other two cars were carried out on stretchers, I was completely injury-free and even had normal blood pressure and a pulse. I came out of that "daylight nightmare" quite well as I was indeed "protected".

As for the psychiatrist colleague I mentioned, he had spiritual depth and fully understood that we are not a product of the brain and its consciousness. My explanation of the yogi who never sleeps did not contradict anything in medical science .. but went beyond it.

I also discussed with my psychiatrist the Indian sage who appeared to me and a colleague literally out of thin air in an open field. When we mentioned that to my spiritual mentor, who was sitting with other sages, no one was surprised as we were told that "He does this from time to time. Everyone knows that." My dialogue with the psychiatrist on this particular incident was particularly interesting.