View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 12:03 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uday_Advaita
Believing, Seeking & Faith

Ripley’s Believe it or Not – was a regular feature appearing in the 60’s in some magazines telling some incredulous stories and unexplained phenomenon. I used to be fascinated to read and ask - Could it be True?

In our day to day interactions, quite often we say – I believe, .. I believe,…. which generally means - I think I know…. or I almost know, but not very sure …..

How does the process of believing happens?

Most people tend to believe hearsay reports, rumors, sensational news items etc. The process of accepting something as true is based on preconceived notions, or the authenticity of the source of information or something they really want to believe.

From spiritual point of view beliefs are a very sacred part of individual persona. These are formed, entirely based on one’s life experiences and the demographics.

Whenever you say – “I believe….”
You are effectively saying that “I do not know…. but I presume, that something to be true……”
Admitting something that you do not know is a great possibility for knowing….
However, the appended presumption immediately reduces the potential of knowing the truth about - that something - dramatically.

The questions that come to my mind are

Are “Believing” and “Seeking” mutually exclusive??

Does believing in something precludes discovering the truth?

Could a Believer simultaneously be a Seeker?

Wouldn’t be conflict among diverse streams of beliefs inevitable?

What is Faith? Is it synonymous with Belief?

When I contemplate on the above, my understanding is: There ought be large number of believers than seekers in this world for the simple reason that in day to day life, believing happens more frequently than seeking. When true seeking happens, the beliefs hitherto held, get abandoned at a place where the seeker is unlikely to revisit ever.

Whereas True Faith is Surrender – It just cannot be equated with Belief

No one can choose the path, a seeker is likely to take. If the seeker emerges on the path of selfless action (Nishkam Karmayog), all his/her actions will gradually tend to happen without the slightest expectation of anything in return.

If the seeker emerges on the path of Devotion / Faith (Bhaktiyog), he/she will have left all the beliefs behind and true Faith will lead to complete Acceptance where the self-seeking Ego will gradually diminish enabling the seeker to unite with…. Him.

If the seeker emerges on the path of Knowledge (Gyanyog), he/she will be guided by a deep thirst for the quest of “Who I am”, looking deeply inward into his heart for the answers - the Final Truth - “Thou art That”

All paths finally have to converge to the ultimate understanding…..
“Tat Tvam Asi”

Namaskar

I think one thing that Is more important than faith of belief is love. You have to love with all your heart the things you believe or have faith in. Therefore love is the prime motive for you to act out in faith or belief. I think it's easier just to love what interests you the rest just seem to fall into place. Amen