View Single Post
Old 13-03-2016, 11:09 AM
Experiencer
I think dairy products are a kind of addiction. I was vegetarian for a few years before I went vegan and skipped the last bit of dairy from my diet: cheese. I used to think there was no life after cheese. But amazingly I did very well without. It turned out my body was able to dump a lot of fat as soon as the cheese went out. So that was a big eye opener for me.
I switched to a plant based diet for health reasons.

I also make my own milk at home with a soy milk machine. It's a lot cheaper that way and much more tastier, because I throw the pulp back into the milk to not lose any of the precious nutritions. I even make it a little thicker with fine oats. Here is a good video on how to use a soy milk machine. I use it for soy, almond, hazelnut and even coconutmilk. It saves a lot of shopping too because you only buy a few bags of nuts and beans every few months or so. Makes shopping a lot easier.

Even when I still used meat I had developed a shortage of calcium in my body. I started using calcium supplements when I started to make my own soymilk. Because then I no longer bought fortified soymilk. I am actually quite happy using supplements. The flexibility in my joints has improved all over my body. When I stop using them I notice my joints fall back a little bit. So I'm ok using calcium every day. And from my experience meat and or dairy didn't deliver enough calcium for the needs of my body.