View Single Post
Old 15-01-2022, 01:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4existence
I think a lot of people eventually get caught up in meditation (especially in the early stages) as a rigid practice, which can stunt personal growth toward self-realization.
In my training we had to practice breath awareness all day, day after day, for days on end, and I can only suggest as much as is realistically possible. The things you only cast doubt over what you determined to do.
Quote:
opening the lid on the jar of emotions and thoughts that we weren't otherwise aware of.
Yep. True. 2 points: As the thoughts and emotions will arise, like I say, there's no problem, they can be there, but they aren't relevant to your task. When we feel the breathing we have ceased to do things and started watching. Hence we have stopped the activities that avoid, repress along with activities that 'make something happen', so rather than this being used to repress anything, it is actually the cessation of the activity of repression. Hence, such things that have hitherto been repressed will loosen from their binds and start moving through. When that starts to happen, don't make it important and let it become your object of attention. Your meditation was the means of it coming unstuck, so keep going. As it comes through, keep breathing. These emotions don't need to be expressed, but they have to be felt. It's there and you feel it. It isn't a problem. It can't hurt, distract or or disturb you as you keep breathing.
Quote:
breath -we may not realize that it is something that also will inevitably need to be let go.
It is possible that people might conceptualise the breath as an object which could be clung to, but it is better to look at the reality, this breath is coming in - enough, no desire for more - now it's going out, and there is no clinging.
Quote:
... journaling
This is beyond my scope, so I can't say anything reasonable. I'm more inclined in the context of this thread toward thinking it could be giving undue importance things that aren't actually of great concern, but for those who are really quite overwhelmed, it could be good within a more holistic therapy. I have no idea.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn : 15-01-2022 at 02:46 AM. Reason: 2-3 sentences when quoting