View Single Post
Old 31-01-2021, 04:14 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
If you were born with the gift of intellect, would you have a problem being a scientist, stock analyst or lawyer? If you were born with an athletic gift, would you have a problem with being a professional athlete? The answer is the same for spiritual gifts. Modern society works by money rather than direct barter of goods, money is not inherently evil.

This can be an ethical problem. Be aware that a lot of mediumship is NOT at someone's 'most desperate time'. Often they just missed their long ago relatives, want some advice from a relative, or are just checking to see if the other side has any messages. Until you have enough experience and trust in your ethics, stick to using these skills well after the death of their loved one (say 1 year).

I am not clear which corruption you fear. I covered money above. You do not seem overly concerned that spiritual beings would overpower you or exploit you (though this is typically the biggest danger to mediumship).

This leaves you exploiting people when they are vulnerable. My best suggestion is to set parameters before meeting clients regarding cost, how often you will see them, how soon after the death of a loved one you are willing to contact that loved one.

-----------
If you have spirit guides, usually they are willing to help with most of the issues above.

I don't think this is actually a mechanical query where logic would suggest a solution of some kind. Usually, ethics philosophy attempts to use reason to formulate ethical conduct, but it has never worked, and has at times been harmful.

Ethics implies intent, so understanding the incitement of will is the key to ethics. That's not a work of logic, but a facet of self awareness because it entails being conscious of tendencies of the desires and aversions that incites the motive to perpetuate ego through time, As long as we remain compelled by these reactions to feelings we will be selfishly motivated.

I'll harp on the example of gluttony because it aptly illustrates motive impelled by aversion toward hard feelings compelling the desire for good feelings. On the surface of it it doesn't appear that it is ill-intended, but deeper down it is fundamentally motivated by hatred (toward some feeling) and greed (for other feelings), so in the fundamental sense of it generating suffering, it is ill-willed.

That example brings us closer to answering, What is ill-will exactly? If we really examine it closely, ill-will is intent that is incited by the tension between aversion and desire. People will argue that desire is good, but if we look at it really closely, desire always comes with aversion, and the will, intent, motive, is only ever incited by desire/aversion reactive dynamics. We usually project that outwardly, like gluttony desires food, but actually, we only crave feelings, and food is but a means to that end.

So... since aversion coupled with desire for feelings is what generates motive, ethics is not really having good intentions so much as it is as having no motive in conjunction with contentment with 'this' as it is. When you don't mind what happens you can let everything be 'as it is'. For a medium, it could be a matter of channeling dead people/spirits somehow, but I would question the deeper issue of what motivates the client. What are the hard feelings they are avoiding which is compelling their desire to feel better feelings via medium enabled communication. Indeed I wouldn't care so about the communication itself if I understood it was only a means to the end of the client avoiding and attaining feelings, and thereby generating suffering.

There is a lot more going than the connection with 'dear old mother or whatever it might be. It's deep and complicated, so it isn't possible to be ethically effective by constructing inner principles and obeying them. One has to be well aware of their own feeling/reactivity dynamic that incites motives that are ultimately just perpetuating ego. This operates in subtle ways, so ethics is like a refinement in self awareness, 'as it is', not 'as you want it to be'.