View Single Post
Old 19-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Joshua Flynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentest
Is there ever any way to know if bizarre things that happen around you are valid spiritual synchronicities or if you're actually just a complete lunatic? If the only way to know is to just have faith, then that seems like a good way to accidentally become a complete lunatic. Or am I on the right track as long as I can remember my zip code?

Very, very dangerous question.

Basically, the unknown, the weird, whatever you want to call it, is like the ocean depths. The deeper down you go, the more pressure that exerts itself on you, and if you rise from the depths too quickly, you may find yourself suffering from the sudden changes/differences.

The problem is, the... unknown... cannot conform within the limits of the materialistic world. It's like trying to calculate the distance down to the precise millimetre of the universe inside your head by measuring from one end to the other.

So when you experience something weird, or abnormal, there is no way to define it within materialistic, and therefore 'normal' scopes (normal is merely a paradigm enforced by the majority - for example, Mexican in Mexico is 'normal'). You cannot conform spirituality to materialism, or materialism to spirituality - either you get the spirituality but without the hollow shell, or you get the hollow shell without the spirituality.

If you want to know, on the other hand, whether or not you are right (and not merely conformist to the system), I found in my case (might be different for you, different people have different methods) was to work logically from the ground up, starting with the most likely possibility, seeing if the theory fit the facts (your own personal experience takes precedence over other people's mere opinions), and if it didn't, eliminating it, and continuing onwards, until eventually you walk into the least likely possible scenario, the realm that people will deny simply because it's taboo. To them.

For example, if I was to see something, I might work by:

1. Verifying I actually saw it (I must give myself the benefit of the doubt on this though).

2. Try to identify what it is, what properties it has, appearance, movement, descriptor etc (this comes in handy when you need to perform an analysis).

3. Immediately begin comparing it to common skeptical views (so for example, if it's a UFO, is it a plane? No, it's angular momentum is too sharp and fast, G-force shear would likely kill occupant etc). Systematically assess any and all so-called 'normal' viewpoints.

4. Take mental note of reasons why any of the skeptical arguments don't fit (you'll need this to defend yourself when challenged).

5. Inquire with other people what they think it might be (act as if it's 'hypothetical' if they are too narrow-minded). Include points of view that disagree with your own. Chances are they will regurgitate skeptical views you've previously assessed - echo your reasons why you don't believe it to be valid. If they produce any new viewpoints, assess them.

5a. Inquire with a doctor for their medical opinion on the matter if applicable (for example, mysterious appearing scratches, etc). Describe the symptoms as appropriate (I'd personally omit anything taboo sounding). Bear in mind the doctor might take a 'take two pills and call me in the morning' approach (I.E. dismiss it), so be sure to do your own groundwork investigation.

5b. This doesn't include psychologists or psychiatrists given their assessment are based on subjective criterion (I.E. anything taboo sounding will be seen as symptomatic behaviour). Do your groundwork research on what happened first so you have at least a solid case to back yourself up with - imagine a person who could detail every argument they assessed and numerous books they read versus someone who just claims to have seen something.

6. Read up on the topic. Do other people correlate what has happened to you? Be somewhat open minded and skeptical (if that makes sense) - what they say may well be valid, but you have to treat it objectively. If multiple people correlate what you are saying (not just a few keywords but similar experiences), chances are it was real.

6a. You may optionally (although exercise appropriate judgement of character and if in doubt, leave it out) want to approach or inquire with people regarding their experiences. People can be a little defensive (given other people can be defensive). Try to respect them on it, although they may respond if you explain your experiences first.

7 (optional). Formulate a theory on how/why it happened. Treat a theory as just that, a theory (it's how you think it works). It's so you have at least some grasp of understanding of what is happening, even if it's incomplete. It prevents the events from appearing as disjointed.

These things won't mean that you won't feel a little 'out there', but being systematic in assessment, analysis, information gathering and formulating theories, means you will be able to place a much greater confidence in yourself and what happened, and even be able to sufficiently refute any challenges.