View Single Post
Old 09-02-2022, 08:17 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding what is meant by scriptural passages indicating that "Man is made in the Image of God". Here is a link to a Wikipedia article about the many ways that the "Image of God" is understood. .

Still Waters,

An interesting question. First, I am not referencing the provided sources….yet. It might color my immediate thoughts.

I start with accepting that God is Spirit. What does spirit look like ? Does it have form ? Meaning it could be material ? As you might imagine I reject such ideas. It is said that “one cannot see God and live”…..I always make a parenthetical addition for my understanding to read: “No one can see God and live(in the same way). I lean to the possibility that if we ‘see’ God it could be a blinding light.

But I believe in being made in the image of God. That image is within us….various ways of conceiving that: the spark of God, the ‘I’, the Self or true Self, the ‘I AM’ etc. Whatever the case it is embedded.

The Orthodox I have heard often make a distinction between ‘image’ and ‘likeness’. Image is what sees in a mirror…it has no reality in itself. Likeness denotes realizing the potential of becoming like God….in attributes, actions, thoughts…..being one with God means you are on the same wavelength, so to speak.

To the extent that I have any gift of discernment, and I mean spiritual discernment, I have had experiences of seeing people who radiate the Spirit. This can only come from their ‘within’. I hope everyone has had that experience. If so, in effect, you have seen God. Is that what you thought God looked like ? I hope it surprised because your level of consciousness just got a huge boost….:)

By the way the original image of God could have only been male/female unless one wants to question if women are made in the image of God. I believe in one God….there can be no female god that made women.