View Single Post
Old 05-06-2020, 01:59 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
That's another example of automatically following dogma. It moves the standard (the default) of the normal. Saying it every time becomes an automatism and loses significance, but missing it becomes a big mistake, and gives reasons to accuse the errant of lack of faith or worse.

Although this is an example of freedom of thought restriction, isn't as damaging as other impositions on the adherents' freedom of thoughts are.
Two Amens and a Hallelujah to that.
Yes, what we do and don't say in passing can often be very significant. I remember reading about how W would slip slight variations of sayings popular with white conservative evangelical Christians into his speeches as a sign to his base that he was with them even if he didn't openly say so.

One does learn to recognize these secret handshake phrases that serve as clues to other in the fold but may go unnoticed by those not in the know. For example, when someone in the U.S. pops up and tells you "they prayed on it" when discussing a dilemma or decision. It is often a sign that they are a conservative/republican evangelical Christian and are looking for your reaction before they let on any further. It is sort of creepy in a way, but it does help avoid awkward or confrontational moments. A proper response might be something along the lines of 'Did the lord give you some guidance?', or 'I will keep you in my prayers?', which is a reply that says, yes I am one too and it's OK to shift to a religious tone. Kind of fascinating.

Anyway, to get back to the thread topic, I do see value in this Idea of not depicting God as the human mind has a way of thinking about elephants whenever you tell it not to think about elephants. Even after all this time, and even through my concept of God has changed from my upbringing in the Catholic faith to become something very different, something without gender, species, or even form of any kind, my mind still goes back to the flying old toga clad man with the flowing white beard for a brief moment when I hear that word.