View Single Post
Old 23-01-2022, 10:37 AM
Master
I am going to start with Ryszard Legutko's book ''The Demon in Democracy: Totalitarian Temptations in Free Societies''.

'' Ryszard Legutko lived and suffered under communism for decades—and he fought with the Polish anti-communist movement to abolish it. Having lived for two decades under a liberal democracy, however, he has discovered that these two political systems have a lot more in common than one might think. They both stem from the same historical roots in early modernity, and accept similar presuppositions about history, society, religion, politics, culture, and human nature. ''

That last sentence is what peeks my interest the most, and what I've come to observe myself over the years.

Perspectives like his, people that experienced regimes, help me make sense of these times where authorities and their followers also desire for total control, predictable ''management of the people'', the silencing of critics and skeptics, etc.

Talk about Polish authors... I also still need to start with a book from the Witcher series (fantasy series), from Andrzej Sapkowski.