View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 11:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presence
Namaste, Shivani Devi

Wonderful, thank you. I will take your suggestions. I just went to the YouTube link and the Sivayoga link and will return for further learning. It is also interesting to know that it took you 5 years. That sounds like a nice goal.
You are very welcome and I am happy to offer assistance.

I wish you all the best in your studies and may you progress swiftly.

When I learned Sanskrit, I learned it through Kakawin or traditional Javanese poetry:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakawin

I grew up in Bali, Indonesia...hell bent on trying to understand the language of the puppet plays and cultural dances .

I already had a pretty good handle on Bahasa Indonesian, from there I started learning the local Balinese dialect..from there, I could make the jump to Javanese (seeing as how people from Bali came from Java originally) which led me to the Brahmi Script and proto Indo-European languages..which culminated in me learning Devanagari (Sanskrit).

That is how I learned it, but I wouldn't recommend that way unless you have been raised into that environment, because even Indians would have a hard time understanding Sanskrit the way it is spoken in Bali and Java... UNLESS, it is processed back the other way and studied in reverse..

Anyway, that is just a bit of my own personal experience.