Thread: Losing Weight
View Single Post
Old 14-04-2019, 02:17 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1
Im happy to see this thread Gem because you're right......it seems like just about all the young people I see are overweight (and stressed) these days.

My oldest daughter is 31 and has battled her weight since being a teenager and several pregnancies and having 4 kids to take care of has added exponentially to her weight issues.

Even my 11 year old grandson has started getting a little belly and has become conscious of it....

Recently he asked me....Po (he calls me Po) your like old right? But you aren't fat and you have muscles!

Thats because I don't eat junk....I eat a healthy diet and go to the gym several times a week Nick and have done this my entire adult life.

So now Nick is laying off all the excessive carby junk he likes to eat and wanting to go with me to the gym!

Guess im a good example!

I wish I could get my daughter to go but with 4 kids.....to of them being twin babies. ...its kinda tough for her.

I guess you are a good example, and you probably have that role in your whole family dynamic, and as grandad you have more perspective over the intergenerational effects of the trend towards bigger bodies over time.

The difficulty is it is a social trend. The whole cultural organism is moving in that direction, so going the other way within your own family is like swimming against the tide, so you'd be like a surfer who scans the whole beach to find the rip tide which is going the other way and showing the family - this is where you swim out.

What that involves in practice, I don't know. You're on the ground so you know better, and it's not like just simple eat and move - it takes a while to learn how to surf and get to know the movements of the sea.

The daughter has a lot on her plate (pun intended), like my own sister who has 4 kids from 18 to 6 years old, working to keep the mortgage, running busy like a soccer mom, and gaining size just a little bit each year which adds up. One day will look in the mirror and say 'how did I get here?', and maybe when her younger ones become more independent she can focus more on herself.

Your young one is at the turning point, it is one way or the other for him right now, so you play the important role there as the one who has been surfing all your life. Better show him the ways of the sea, old man teehee.