View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 09:57 PM
DebbyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesheta
I have a food dehydrator, as well...I use it mainly for drying fresh herbs for the winter, but have also used it to dry pineapple and apples! I absolutely LOVE dried fruit :) I munch on dried figs at work on my breaks sometimes, and most of my co-workers think it's disgusting...sigh.....:)

The reason that I got the large dehydrator is because I will be having a garden and I thought that it might be good for taking care of some of the veggies. Dry them for soups and so on. I did do green onions the first time I used it but I made the mistake of drying the pecans that I'd soaked, at the same time. They tasted a little weird as a result because they picked up the onion molecules. Won't do that again.

While I'm not crazy about figs, the rest of your snack sounds wonderful. Just gotta wonder what is the matter with people who think it's disgusting. So sad that so many only think snacks come in foil bags and such. Poor, poor people.

You should try making some crackers for nibbling. I'll give you this recipe in case you want to try it.

• 1 cup sunflower seed , soaked in water 4 hours
• 1 cup pecans, soaked in water 4 hours
• 1 cup quinoa , soaked in water overnight, rinsing a couple times
• 1 tomato
• 1 cup red pepper , diced
• 1/4 cup flax seed , ground
• 1 pinch cumin or chili powder
• 2 teaspoons salt

THIS COULD ALSO BE DONE WITH AN ASIAN FLAIR. USE SOY SAUCE AND MAPLE SYRUP TO SWEETEN, BIT OF CAYENNE.

Directions:
Requires preparation! Soak sunflower seeds, pecans, and almonds for 4 hours.
Add all ingredients to food processor and process until as smooth as desired.
Spread out on teflex sheet, fruit roll up tray, or waxed paper and dehydrate for about 24 hours. After approximately 8 hours you can cut the crackers to desired size and flip.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/raw-cheez...#ixzz1kKim5p21