View Single Post
Old 18-05-2016, 02:34 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Necromancer
I have learned, very recently in fact that whether people 'accept the retelling' of it is irrelevant, truth be told any 'spiritual experience' that can be spoken about isn't a 'spiritual experience'.

Me: Well it places a stigma on the topic and that discourages conversation, so I think that is relevant.

This is something that cannot be shared by 'two or more people' albeit any other single person out there.

Me: Well if you had been there when my dad, who had just died, kept letting us know he was still around you might feel differently I think.

There's no way you can tell if somebody has had a 'spiritual experience' although you may notice the subtle signs of it, like their charity and humility, their acceptance and tolerance and their uplifting and inspiring presence around other people.

Me: Or you are sleeping in the same bed with someone when they bolt up, turn on the light, and sit staring ahead with a blank expression and then the phone rings with the news maybe? When my wife has a bad night I know we will be hearing about a family member in distress or a death very shortly, her mother was like that too, I can try to deny it but I am too old to play such games on myself, I just accept that it happens.

What others 'accept' as being a 'bonafide experience' is often far away from the actuality of it and in the end, all one can say is 'accept it or not, it has happened'. It's a subjective experience only relevant to the experiencer...until there's no experience...no 'experiencer' no 'event'...no 'witness to it'...that's all I can speak on it.

Me: Well thanks for your reply, I appreciate your viewpoint, I certainly don't have answers, just questions.