View Single Post
Old 26-04-2022, 12:56 AM
Experiencer
They say practice makes perfect, but too often the reverse is true for sleeping. Most people get worse at sleeping as they grow older.

As a teenager, when I couldn't sleep my mom would tell me that I should at least lay there quietly. That way my body would get some rest.

In my late teens I tried to get good at sleeping. I wanted to be able to sleep anywhere, anytime. Never did manage that. I tried other things too. Like working for a few hours, then sleeping for a few, then working, then sleeping, etc. Did that for three weeks and loved it. I also spent a semester or two living 30 hour days, which gives you 6 days in a week. I liked that too. At this point I tend to eat when I'm hungry and sleep when I'm tired, so the hours I'm awake are fairly random. I do have a preference for being awake all night though. That's always been true.

Honestly, our bodies are fairly flexible. They need sleep, but they're usually willing to adapt as long as we respect their needs. Many people are happiest with a routine - a schedule - and get in trouble when that routine gets messed up. Regular meditation can reduce our need for sleep. In fact, that was one of the popular "selling points" when I learned to meditate. You still need to sleep though - it's just the amount of sleep you need that gets reduced.

@RedEmbers - I expect your "8 hours in a meditative state" is getting you what you need. My question is does that happen because you can't fall asleep? Because, if you can remember some of your dreams, I might have a trick that could help with that. As you're trying to go to sleep, focus on remembering as much of the dream as you can. Immerse yourself in those dream memories. For me, doing that sends me straight to sleep.