View Single Post
Old 22-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Master
Fish Ida nadis - channel of the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerland
You know Uma, I have always wondered about which side of my brain is supposedly in charge. I am left handed, which should make me right brained. Right? But I am artistic, have premonitions, have strong intuitions, am spiritual minded; so wouldn't that make me left brained? I get soooooooo confused!
I am very connected to the moon and her phases. I don't know a lot about astronomy or astrology , but I know that the moon does affect many things. Any hints that you could give me on this would be appreciated.
Our skies were very clear that night; crystal clear in fact. As I said I did not see the blood red moon, but the moon was awesome as I drove home after work. It looked so clear and very close. It was a more mystical sight than the eclipse was.

Hi Summerland,

I'm going to have to share a bit of subtle energy anatomy knowledge to explain what I know from Yogic Science...sort of "in a nutshell"...

Yes you're correct, the physical right hemisphere of the brain does control the physical left side of the body, which is more about creative thinking and left-handedness.

What neurology doesn't know about is that we also have a subtle/invisible energy system inside the physical body. This diagram gives you an idea:

The subtle energy system links to the physical nervous system but the "left" & "right" is affected by the energy channels (in Sanskrit "nadis") not the left and right hemispheres of the physical brain. (BTW these can be accessed through the power of intention, breath control "pranayama" - especially ujai breath - and reflexology too - just have someone massage your big toes and you'll feel it in the head.)

Thus you have three central channels: Ida (left), Sushumna (central) and Pingala (right). The ida and pingala are the lunar (Chandra) and solar (Suryia) channels (nadis) respectively. If you give attention to the air quality in your nostrils, you'll notice that the left nostril brings cool air whilest the right nostril brings warm air. So they have different qualities. Air is full of not only oxygen but also prana (chi/qi) which is Sanskrit for subtle energy. Prana is in everything and it's that which gives us energy... "God give us this day our dailey bread," - that's prana, sustenance.

When you felt energy on the left side, you were feeling subtle energy along the Ida nadis, the lunar side - which does have to do with intuition, artisitic sensitivity and more inward focus. And it fits inside the spine on the left side, so you would feel it on the left side of your body. The energy body of the soul fits inside the physical body like a hand fitting inside a glove.

Here is the caduceus, a symbolic representation of the three main subtle energy channels in balance (which represents health - hence its use to symbolize medicine). The Ida and Pingala converge at the brow chakra which is the subtle energy centre of the mind - also associated with the moon.

In Vedic astrology, the moon is called Chandra. Mind is a tool of Consciousness (Spirit). Spiritual energy flows through the mind, which controls the physical parts. This is how we feel things in our body that first flow through the mind. The moon, with its gravitational forces affecting the tides and menstrual flows, also affects our physical body since we are over 70% water. The moon is also a living being with a subtle energy presence, and it has a subtle energy effect on our subtle energy system. So what we get is a double-whammy effect on full moon days - influencing the physical body and the energy body at the same time.

The brow chakra is also the centre of the ego and intellect. That's why the word "luna" for moon is in the word "lunacy." It pulls everything up, it magnifies everything that is in the mind and emotions - way out of proportion.

I hope this isn't too confusing... This is who we are - beings of light.