View Single Post
Old 26-12-2020, 03:48 PM
Master
Lightbulb

I expect an interesting changing religious landscape throughout this century. Some established religions will decline (or already are). I predict this will be especially noticeable with Christianity, theistic Hinduism, and hopefully Islam. The only ones that will still have an impact by the end of the century could very well be those that have adapted the best to secularism, individualism and do not have central teachings that are contradictory to empirical observation.

Hopefully nature-based, neopagan spirituality makes some gains, but I hold my breath. Buddhism will survive, because it seems to manage quite well in secular, individualized societies. It offers practices that help the individual deal with the hectic modern life. Christianity will have to adapt. Theistic Hinduism will first make some more gains now that Indians are toothy about their national identity (and a theistic Vaishnavist path will deliver on that level), but eventually decline too, once the upper classes become more individualistic, and the masses receive education in science, at which point the more individual paths will make gains (paths similar to Jainism). Islam will hopefully fade away, because it is a problem everywhere..

Religions will always be around, I believe, it's part of our human nature. But as always they will have to adapt in a changing world. With modern science, technology and development comes individualism and the religions and paths that will survive are the ones that can manage to find their niche within that context.