View Single Post
Old 13-08-2022, 08:49 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurab
(With reference to the above) you have the exact same ideas that I have about how to reverse the tendencies and how unlearning may be achieved.
Think of the mind as a vast expanse of flat, even ground. Ordinary, attentive thought represents drawing/digging a line into that dirt. Repeated focus on the same thoughts is a retread of the same pathway. The more this is done, the deeper the rut that is dug, the greater the tendency of the attention to go in that direction; the path of least resistance. Dharana is the digging of a single dot into and through the ground of the mind. It's not so much the concentration of meditation which is the virtue (as you aptly recognize, saurab!) but the ignoring of the other "ruts" and leaving them to lose their depth as they're eroded by indifference.

"Then his soul is a lamp whose light is steady, for it burns in a shelter where no winds come."

Quote:
The key words in your response are "focus as the sole nexus for the attention" and "ignore and weaken". Thank you for your response. It makes me a little more confident of the approach I should take while meditating.
However, just remember that anyone can wend towards theoretical nihilism (which is NOT the goal at all!). Those words that you've quoted are outcomes of proper meditation, not directives. Practice, sadhana, is where you need to focus. :) "Philosophy" is a tangled web!!!

Last edited by Wagner : 13-08-2022 at 09:36 PM.