View Single Post
Old 03-01-2020, 03:26 PM
Master
3. Prakriti Sphere (Anda)

At this point we have stepped down from the universal God consciousness state to the common human or sentient being level of consciousness after going through the maya layer (anda). The pure tattvas the part of universal consciousness and in combination with the maya tattvas they are mixture of 'I' (subject) and 'this' (object). Whereas this prakriti layer represents the 'this-ness' or the objective part of the manifested universe (while the object is still at the core).

This layer is made up of the following 23 impure tattvas/principles or components. There are totally 24 impure tattvas, the last one Prithvi tattva falls on the last layer which is the Prithvi layer.

Here is a break-up image of the 24 impure tattvas from Wikipedia.

13. Prakriti tattva - This principle is the root or the one that gives birth to the rest of the 23 elements or principles that follows.

14 - 16. Antahkarana (3 tattvas) - In Kashmir Shaivism the mind is made up of 4 components. a) The buddhi (intellect) that discerns or has the ability to judge and discriminate, b ) the manas (mind) which is the seat of emotions and has the faculty of imagination, c) the ahamkara (personal ego) or the part of the mind that gives rise to the individual 'I' feeling and d) the chitta which is the storehouse of all subconscious impressions.

14. Buddhi (intellect) tattva - Intellectual part of the mind that has the ability to judge and discriminate

15. Manas (mind) tattva - the seat of emotions and the faculty of imagination

16. Ahamkara (personal ego) tattva - gives rise to the separate individual and personal ego

17 - 21. Five sense organs (jnanendriyas)
Quote:
The five sense organs (jñānendriya) are the most sattvic functions of manas and include:

ghrāna (nose), i.e., the medium to experience smell
rasana (tongue), i.e., the medium to experience taste
caksus (eye), i.e., the medium to experience colour and shape
tvāk (skin), i.e., the medium to experience touch
śrotra (ear), i.e, the medium to experience sound

22 - 26. Five motor organs (karmendriyas)
Quote:
The five motor organs (karmendriya), each corresponding to a sense organ, represent the physical organs of action. They are the most rajasic functions of manas.

pāyu (anus) - the organ responsible for excretion
upasthā (sexual organ) - the organ that enables procreation and sexual enjoyment[13]
pāda (leg) - the organ that makes ambulation possible
pāni (hand) - the organ that enables grabbing and touching
vāk (mouth) - the organ that makes sound/speech possible

Five subtle elements (tanmatras)
Quote:
The five subtle elements (tanmātra) are the most tamasic functions of manas and represent the reflection of the corresponding five gross elements in the mind:

gandha (smell)
rāsa (taste)
rūpa (form)
sparśa (touch)
śabda (sound)

32 - 36. Five gross elements (mahabuthas) - The prithvi tattva shown below is part of the next and final layer, the Prithvi Anda.
Quote:
The five gross elements (mahābhuta) represent the final point of manifestation:

prthvi (earth)
jala (water)
tejas (fire)
vāyu (air)
ākāśa (ether or space)
While mahābhūtas are the basis for the material world, tanmātras are but limited aspects and views of it, in no way able to fully describe it. We cannot actually perceive the reality, all we can access are limited "bands" of information that form a description of reality. These bands of information are the five tanmātras.

This restriction however applies only to the limited beings (jiva, or aṇu). For one who has gone beyond māyā, in the realm of the pure tattvas, there can be direct perception of reality, because as one's self is Ātman, so are the external objects. In such a state an enlightened being can perceive the world beyond the five senses (direct perception), in a state of diversity in unity and unity in diversity.[14]

4. Prithvi Sphere (Anda) - This sphere contains the Earth principle which is shown as part of the 5 mahabuthas or gross elements in the previous quote. This concludes the 36 tattvas and the 4 spheres of KS.
Quote:
Pṛthvī aṇḍa is the terminal point of creation – solid matter. There is only one tattva in this sphere: Pṛthivi tattva. This tattva has a special statute because it contains in essence all the other tattvas and is the home of Kuṇḍalinī Śakti.[2]