View Single Post
Old 25-04-2021, 07:48 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEmbers
I avoided a bipolar diagnosis because I recognised that I segregated a part of my personality which did not feel safe to express as a child. It was directly related to trauma and it differentiated me from my bipolar mates.
In my own case a survival process kicked in and my consciousness 'separated' from my body. I was suffering so much trauma that I was literally beside myself, I was outside my body watching myself go through the pain. I was about eight or nine at the time, now I'm sixty-four. Without realising it I was trying to express that child throughout my Life since that happened, even until these past couple of years or so. Always the child screaming to be heard inside.

I've spoken to a couple of people in threads like these, it seems to be common that alternative personalities are 'snapshots' of emotional states caused by severe trauma.

Nowadays I treat the child as real and as a being in his own right, even though it was always a part of me to begin with. I went through cognitive behaviour therapy a couple of years ago and a large part of that was dealing with that inner child and what he went through. It's still not easy sometimes but I feel as though I have to Love myself as the child, to allow feelings to come through and express that part of me 0 and Love him just the same.