View Single Post
Old 23-04-2021, 03:44 AM
zinnat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I'm pretty much on track with what you're saying. Recalling your day each night is good to reflect on and helps you be more conscious. Being compelled by what happens in unconsciousness is a problem and becoming more conscious is beneficial.

I suggest that the object of concentration makes a difference, as some objects arouse passions, appeal to obsessions, are emotionally charged, and generally incite aversions and cravings, which is counterproductive to the purpose. Another issue that matters is if the object is already occurring, such as breath, or if the meditator generates the object, such as mantra. That makes a difference in the sense that the former is non-volitional (just observe), and the latter volitional (make it happen).
Gem,
As you have noticed, i already mentioned that the object of concentration makes a difference but not in initial stages.
What one needs in initial stages?
Practice and forming a habit of concentration. As it is new thing for starters thus it becomes somewhat easy for the practitioner to concentrate on such a subject which is familiar to him/her, instead of totally new thing. So, it helps to some extent initially. One can always change the object after learning how to create and maintain concentration.

with love,
sanjay