Thread: Haiku
View Single Post
Old 27-04-2019, 06:26 AM
Master
So I just had a look at the haiku wikipage, I thought I remembered that haiku wasn't this easy, and lo and behold there were more 'rules'. Not sure I will adhere to them, but maybe someone else is interested.

Short version:
Haiku is a very short form of Japanese poetry in three phrases, typically characterized by three qualities:

1. The essence of haiku is "cutting" (kiru).
This is often represented by the juxtaposition of two images or ideas and a kireji ("cutting word") between them, a kind of verbal punctuation mark which signals the moment of separation and colours the manner in which the juxtaposed elements are related.

2. Traditional haiku often consist of 17 on (also known as morae though often loosely translated as "syllables"), in three phrases of 5, 7, and 5 on, respectively.[3]

3. A kigo (seasonal reference), usually drawn from a saijiki, an extensive but defined list of such terms.

Long version:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku

Guess I'm gonna read some examples and try again... :)

And we turn our attention to the world, not away. We receive our learning from the songs it sings and the choir of One we're all in.

And while we walk gently, we generate love, healing, the most powerful energy of all, Life!

Soaking in life, we spread the light <3