View Single Post
Old 11-05-2022, 03:08 PM
Ascender
I am an advanced certified hypnotist (although I don't practise professionally). I can confirm that the only person who got near to a proper understanding on this thread is Miss Hepburn.

Hypnosis proper involves a close relationship of trust between client and hypnotist. Critical factor (Google if you don't know what that is) is, if you like, the "guard dog" which protects the subconscious from undue influence. There are ways to bypass critical factor, but co-operation and trust are both keys to success. Professional ethics are also an important aspect to hypnosis. No-one would risk his/her livelihood trying to influence someone adversely to that person's desire.

Another thing: contrary to all the ridiculous films showing people doing things against their will and without their conscious knowledge (even murder in a few films), in fact no-one can be forced to do something which is totally against their moral programming. If anyone tells you otherwise, they don't know what they are talking about.

But where a person sincerely *wants* to change something in life (e.g. stop smoking, overeating, unjustified jealousy, etc....) then a hypnotherapist can and will help. Desire to change and trust in the therapy are vital to success.

Some people here are confusing strong persuasion (commercial advertisements, social media influencing) with hypnotism. Once again, critical factor is the difference. One must overcome the "guard dog" first! That requires trust - and skill on the part of the hypnotherapist.

I hope that this reply will help the OP.