View Single Post
Old 14-04-2020, 04:09 PM
Lepus

Hello

The maiden, mother and crone symbolize both the three phases of the moon (waxing, full, and waning moons) and the three stages or cycles of a woman's life.

Hecate has reached all three stages. Her sigil contains the triple phases of the moon. She is often depicted as a crone because the crone represents death, wisdom, endings, and culmination - which is what she's embodied as today. But I'd say she takes the form of any triple goddess as she chooses and still retains that wisdom and knowledge of a crone. Most of her devotees would describe her appearance as a mother. But I think that depends on the devotees depiction of her and what stage or phase they're in. She can also appear all three forms at once or often taking shape of three different animals in conjunction to the wolf, the snake and the horse.

Is Hecate an example of the maiden only? No because she has reached all three stages. Can she appear as a maiden? Yes. Is Hecate darker side associated with the crone aspect? Modern witches might say yes, but I'd say no, because the crone represents the waning moon phase, which is the final stage that we all at some point would reach. However, there's another moon - the fourth moon - that Hecate is associated with that I'd say is her dark aspect. It's the dark moon phase. This is the time to call on Hecate for baneful magic.

She's no temptress, quite the opposite actually.

What Egyptian deity do you work with if you don't mind my asking?

Lepus