View Single Post
Old 08-08-2022, 10:26 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
Although apparent doership is indeed a factor in the entanglement, I'm not convinced that "the apparent universe is purely deterministic".

We are the "god" of our dream universes and yet virtually everyone gets entangled in a nightmare at one time or another.

This sounds like predestination and that I'm not sure that you really want to go there.
Some random thoughts on this.

If one had every bit of information about the universe at any given point in time and also knew all the fundamental laws of nature then in theory one should be able to accurately construct past and future from that point.

In a dream does the dream character have free will? If one attains lucidity then one understands the nature of that illusion..

It seems to me at the relative level of reality free will is tied at the hip to doership.

Of course if we view it from the Absolute level we can go to the verse neo-Advaita focuses on (Madukya Karaka 2:32). There is no dissolution, no birth, none in bondage, none aspiring for wisdom, no seeker of liberation and none liberated. This is the absolute truth.

Anyway that's where I'm coming from and if there is intrinsic vs. extrinsic free will at the relative level that seems to contradict the above verse.

It's kinda funny because for the longest time I vehemently disagreed with the material reductionist view and for spiritual reasons, but I now perceive a harmony and precisely for spiritual reasons.

Hey, there's a good chance I'm in error but it is what it is and it is where I'm at. LOL!

Last edited by JustASimpleGuy : 08-08-2022 at 11:52 PM.