View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 02:17 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealily
Ah - I think I can see where the confusion may have happened. I can see you're upset and sorry that this wasn't clarified earlier.

This popped up a while back on SF; basically the divide is that some people (myself included) aren't comfortable asking questions with the specific intent of finding out what someone else is thinking/feeling etc (mind-reading, for want of a better term). It does involve semantics; and obviously there are technically ways to get around it (not to mention some of it leaks in when you're intuitively reading a 1st person question anyway), but below are some examples:

Individual questions
- Where is my relationship going with Y
- What am I meant to learn from my interactions with ______
- Will my project with E succeed?
etc

3rd party questions:
- How does X feel about me
- Does T want to quit
- Will H move house soon
etc

ie, "what does P want me to know" falls under the '3rd party question' category :) The question involves you, but would require tapping into him without his knowledge/permission to answer :)

A number of professional readers who don't do 3rd party readings usually follow similar guidelines, so this isn't an SF-specific thing that I've made up :)

Within this thread, I'm happy for people to ask 3rd party questions if they want - it's just as an individual reader, I'd prefer to not read on those questions :) (which is why I said I'd leave it for someone else)

Yes you are right we need to rephrase the question rightly. I really think I need to ponder over the answers I already got to today, so I want to withdraw for now.
If someone else wants to step instead, they should ask the question. May this thread be alive !